A CMS is specified after wireframes and artwork have been produced and checked.
There are two types of specification you need:
- Definitions of document types (or Post Types in WordPress) and
- Definitions of the site map or content structure that the website editor will populate.
Here is a sample CMS specification.
Some key issues in document types:
- Identify content hierarchies
- Identify fields
- Always identify images sizes in their names
- Split images into different relevant folders
- Specify what is mandatory
- Show 1 to many content relationships
- Divide content types into tabs where relevant