Melbourne Content Management and Flash developers
for designers, agencies and your website
After using our own, decaying, in-house CMS for 7 years, in 2008 we surveyed the market of ASP.NET open source CMS's. There were some that were kind of OK, but most we terrible so we thought, what would the ideal CMS be for a developer?
For the programmer we wanted:
- The fastest possible way to build a CMS for a custom HTML website.
- An easy way to build custom modules that went beyond a text element and a text areas element. How for instance would you theoretically build http://www.porterdavis.com.au/#/finder as fast as possible?
- No HTML interference.
- We wanted the CMS to use ASP.NET intuitively, the way it was written. Not a CMS that required creation of wierd plugin modules.
- C# is our language, we want to use it exclusively.
- We like Linq, can data be accessed via Linq please?
- A CMS that did not take 3 weeks to learn.
- Had inbuild support for creating objects, extending this to object oriented relationships like composition and aggregation.
- We wanted CRUD to be inbuilt for these relationships.
- And we wanted a type safe API for rapidly extracting this data.
- Crystal clear documentation.
For the content editor we wanted:
- SEO friendly pages (of course!).
- The simplest possible content editing interface that required no help to use.
- The ability to add multiple types of content to a page.
Thus Whoosh was born. The release below is marked an Alpha but documentation is complete and we are using the source on production websites.